Hi there,
  I'm not sure what you mean by Ruby and Watir being poorly documented. For
Ruby, the first edition of the Pickaxe book which is comprehensive is free
and available online. There are dozens of other tutorials, sites and blogs
about Ruby. Watir also has a lot of examples, a tutorial(
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Tutorial) and other information on the
wiki, if there's something you feel is missing, don't hesitate to suggest it
or add it yourself.

  Oddly, your example doesn't use Watir at all. If you wanted to use Watir
to do the same thing here are some possibilities:

browser.spans.each {|s| puts s.text}   #do something else with the span in
the block if you want - e.g. assign some variables, etc
var = browser.span(:id, /ctl/).text       #find the span by a regex and
assign it to a variable

An interesting example using hpricot and regexs to find book information -
ISBN, price, etc.

Scrubyt is another library for screen scraping which internally uses either
Firewatir or Mechanize, here's a link to some examples:
http://wiki.scrubyt.org/index.php?title=Tutorials

HTH,

Charley Baker
blog: http://charleybakersblog.blogspot.com/