Late to the thread but wanted to add something recently observed while
running firefox through strace.  It appears there are some flow
control issues which may explain the slow typing speed.  It's also
been noted with some puts in the read_socket method the problem isn't
as severe.

While it may be in the JSSH code it may require updates on both sides
and there's always a chance it's 100% on the ruby side.  I'll be
digging into both as well over the next week or so.  From the ruby
side maybe we can set some fcntl flags (looks unlikely through).

system call failure from strace:
read(3, 0x8d165d4, 4096)                = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
temporarily unavailable)