I should think the latest released version of each would work well.

one warning regarding Ruby's unit testing framework, it presumes that
unit tests are all fully independant, and can be run in pretty much
any order or in complete isolation from one another. Ruby runs the
tests not in the order you write them, but in alphabetical order!
That's generally good practice for true unit tests.  but sometimes the
work we are doing with Watir scripts up a long series of user actions,
and we want to run one test after another in a particular order.

You might want to consider basing your testcase classes off of Watir's
test unit stuff, which will run them in the order written

To do that you'll need to use

 require 'watir/testcase'

and then when you create the test classes, make them from
Watir::TestCase

 class My_Test_Case < Watir::TestCase