On Mar 5, 8:43 pm, Vikas Tulashyam <vtulash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> You are right, Watir doesn't support object repository concept and
> even you can't spy the object properties.

IMHO that's not accurate at all.

Watir is not DEPENDENT on an object repository, as are some other
tools.  it doesn't implement one because an OR is not necessary to
write effective scripts in Watir.

However there's nothing from preventing anyone from implementing their
automation using a 'object repository' to maintain a list of aliases
for objects and preferred identifiers to accessing them.  Heck I do
something in a way like that by using a set of constants for all the
visible text the page where it's used in my script (makes it easy to
support testing of something that might later be ported to another
language)..

There are no specific tools for maintaining such a 'repository'
however.

As for spying,  why re-invent the wheel?  there are perfectly good
free tools for this in the form of things like the IE Developer
Toolbar, and Firebug, so what possible benefit would there be to using
a limited resource (developer time, etc) to duplicate the functions of
something that already exists?  There's also tools like 'fiddler' if
you need to see the actual HTTP level exchange between the browser and
the webserver.  I'd frankly rather the folks working on Watir NOT
spend their time on such things, and focus on adding new things to
Watir instead.

I've used a number of tools that utilize an object repository method
(such as quicktest) and frankly I think I can write better less
fragile scripts in Watir than I created with any of those tools.  Yes
there's not a sexy 'icon view' type representation of the script, but
on the other hand it's much easier IMHO to read the resulting watir/
ruby script than the stuff under the covers in those other tools.

depending on, and requiring the user to maintain, and OR is in my
opinion (having used both) a liability, not an asset

--Chuck