I saw a post asking for the same thing a year ago and it didn't get
any responses so I would like to try asking again and maybe one of you
out there could help.

I am trying to read internationalized data in a text field.
Field contents  =  Paço
firewatir returns = Paço

This all works fine in IE here's what I have tried from searching in
this forum
setting
$KCODE='u'

I have also tried

require 'win32ole'
WIN32OLE.codepage = WIN32OLE::CP_ACP #UTF8

and have returned the same data
to see that data in a field you can go to
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS311US311&aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Paço

thanks