HTML SelectList elements have two 'parameters' as it were for each
item on the list.  a text lable that is displayed to the user, and an
underlying 'value' that is returned in the HTTP request when that list
item is selected.

I think you are confusing the two.

Try looking at the actual HTML for the selection list and you'll see
both the text 'label' of the list item, and the displayed value.

To select the n'th element in the list use

brower.select_list
(:name,"FacsimileSearchControl1:FromDateDropdownlist­").select_item_in_select_list
(:index, n)

potentially you might have to use n-1  I'm told that  firewatir uses
'zero based' index counting, where Watir is 'one based', but I don't
know if this is one of those cases where watir and firewatir are still
different or not.