I'd suggest reading the Test::Unit documentation at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Test/Unit.html.  The assertions
are detailed at http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Test/Unit/Assertions.html.

If you want your script to continue after a failed condition, you
could wrap the condition in an if/else statement.  Or use begin/rescue/
end:

begin
  # assert/verify something (e.g. assert(browser.link(:id,
"id").exists?)
rescue
  # log the failure if it fails.
end

Hopefully, this helps point you in the right direction.

orde

PS: In terms of "best practices for reporting to test results?", you'd
likely get various answers to that question.  I do know that many of
the contributors on this forum use RSpec and hold it in high regard.