This will remove each "Â" character from the string:

x = "3       Jubitz Travel Center              Â
Portland,OR"
x.gsub!(/Â/, "")

But you're probably looking to solve your root problem.  Looks like a
UTF-8 vs. ISO-8859-1 issue.  Do a search for "utf-8 Â as a space" on
your favorite search engine, and that should point you in the right
direction (hopefully).

Hope that helps.

orde