Developing and maintaining gmail scripts will be a challenge.

If you're committed to it, search this forum, and there are a few
threads that might help.  For example:

http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general/browse_thread/thread/d6ffd6abde7e711c/14f71f58ec631893?lnk=gst&q=automating+gmail#14f71f58ec631893
http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general/browse_thread/thread/4b5b7622f4ad8a82/ceb6a3d140a7f0ec?lnk=gst&q=automating+gmail#ceb6a3d140a7f0ec

If you can avoid automating gmail, I'd strongly advise it.

Hope that helps..

orde