I'm having the same problem as Yuping with slightly different
versions, but opening Firefox using the "...firefox-bin -jssh" command
suggested above does not fix my issue. I'm running slightly older
versions:

Mac OS X 10.5.8
Firefox 3.5.9
jssh-3.5.x-Darwin-param.xpi

I too get the "RuntimeError: Firefox is running without -jssh" error
and port 9997 does not appear to be opening. Do I need Mac OS X 10.6
in order to open Firefox with arguments?

Any suggestions?
Cheers,
John