I google'd up a RichFaces example:
http://livedemo.exadel.com/richfaces-demo/richfaces/calendar.jsf.
It looks like you don't enter the date into the text field, but--
rather--you click on the calendar icon and select a date.

Peeking at the (ajax-heavy) HTML, you'll probably need to click on the
calender image and then use the fire_event method to trigger the event
handlers in the elements that you need to access.

Here's the link to the fire_event documentation:
http://wtr.rubyforge.org/rdoc/1.6.5/classes/Watir/Element.html#M000557

Hope it helps.

orde