I've just got my bachelor's degree from the school with the thesis of
"Web Applications’ User Interface Based Testing Automation".
Unfortunately it is written in Estonian, so no point of giving the
link in here i guess :P

Anyway, also capture/replay was a small topic in the thesis, that's
why I wouldn't avoid the debate at all. I would like to help people to
understand the problems of this approach before too many hours of
their lives have been wasted. I'm just giving few of the references
i've used in my thesis if you don't have any personal experience with
test automation yet. You can read just the parts about capture/replay
if you're interested.

Zallar, Kerry - Practical Experience in Automated Testing
http://www.methodsandtools.com/archive/archive.php?id=33

Crispin, Lisa - An Agile Tool Selection Strategy for Web Testing Tools
http://www.methodsandtools.com/archive/archive.php?id=57

AppLabs - Test Automation
http://www.applabs.com/internal/app_whitepaper_test_automation_delivering_business_value_1v00.pdf

In short, don't waste time with capture/replay because in the end
you'll die in frustration :)

Jarmo