I've notice recently that my tests in IE were running a lot slower
than Firefox using watir-webdriver. I was able to track it down to
verifying text on a page. For example:

verify(browser.div(:id=>"some_div").text.include?("some text"))

would take about 5 to 10 times as long in IE compared to Firefox. For
most of my tests I was able to switch to using html.include? which is
a lot faster. I don't think it's ideal, but it's working for me and
has sped things up dramatically.