I can answer what the developers were thinking, I believe - they were
thinking "I want the word 'password' to be seen in this text field as a sort
of help-text, but when the user clicks on it, I want that to disappear and
their password should show up as asterisks like normal." If the field is
initially a password type, then the default value shows up as '*'s rather
than as 'password'. Various sites do various bits of hackery (usually CSS)
to have help-text-like stuff in password fields. This is one of the poorer
implementations I've seen.