While helping a colleague of mine install Watir on his fresh ruby
install, we ran into an error where Hoe wanted rubygems >= 1.4.  I was
surprised to find out that Rubygems 1.4, and then shortly thereafter
1.5, were released into the wild very recently.  This caused the Watir
install to fail since Watir depends on Hoe (if not directly then
indirectly).  A fix for this is to install an older version of hoe
first and then install Watir.  I used 'gem install hoe -v 2.8.0' to
get everything working.

YMMV, but I wanted to put this out there just in case anyone else ran into it.

Alan