Yes as others have pointed out, theres no watir in anythng you
provided, what you have are questions regarding how to use ruby..

a few small tips in terms of (at least from what I've seen) are the
ruby way of doing some of the code you have

if nu=region
 This is asking if "setting nu equal to region" is true.. it will
always be true
 instead you want to use:
if nu==region

style wise,
Instead of  :
  rowcount = worksheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
  for j in 1..rowcount
    {some code using j}
 end

use:
  worksheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count.times.do |j|
    {some code using j }
  end

Instead of :
  num =worksheet.Cells(j, 1).value
  nu=num.round(0)
  if nu=region
    puts worksheet.Cells(j, 2).value
  end

use:
  puts worksheet.Cells(j, 2).value  if worksheet.Cells(j,
1).value.to_i == region