Perhaps security settings such as UAC or some of your IE settings such
as Protected Mode have been relaxed on the 32 bit system while the 64
bit system still has the higher 'as shipped' settings??

Or the site might be considered a 'trusted site' on one system and not
on the other.

IE on Vista does some er 'interesting' things when you navigate
between sites (including your defalt page) that are in different
security zones,  which iften results in the connection between Watir
and the browser being lost, and a need to re-attach the browser object
in yoru code 'e.g. 'nav' in your case) to the actual browser instance
running on the system.

IE actually has tighter security (anti-cross-site scripting) in this
area than FF, but unfortunately while that's better for users, it can
be a big PITA for those of us trying to do browser based automation.