The only time that 'nesting' really matters is

1) items inside a frame, which must always be addressed starting at
the frame level (but you do not need to specify the 'path' to the item
unless that's the only way to identify it)

2) The item you want lacks a means to uniquely identify it (e.g. no
name, id, class, unique text, etc)

As long as there is some way (via a single value such as ID, or a
combination such as Class and Name) to uniquely identify an object,
you don't need to worry about how deeply it is nested.

If the element you want does not have any unique characteristics, then
it's time to start looking at the containers that the item is
'wrapped' by, and see if one of them can be incorporated to create a
'key' of sorts that will let you address the object..

To get more specific, and give you good advice, you REALLY need to
post some sample HTML that shows the section of the page around the
element you are trying to address, (along with telling us WHICH
element you are trying to address) and then people can give you
specific examples of Watir code that could be used to work with that
element