I've used windows scheduler without any major hiccups.  There is a
thread in this forum that discusses scheduled watir scripts hanging
on .js popups:

http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general/browse_thread/thread/bde0ab5ef96408c2/d89d4ec8a790bc5a?lnk=gst&q=windows+scheduler#d89d4ec8a790bc5a

If the failing task deals with .js popups and the passing task
doesn't, that might be something to look at.

HTH

orde