That is indeed the same jstree I am working with!

That was a very detailed response that you gave, I like how you
explained everything so clearly.

But yes, clicking the link next to the icon won't help me, and the
only way I can think of to interact with the icon is through the INS
tags. I'm able to locate the right icon by extending Watir to accept
INS tags (see original post) I'm not able to get the .click method to
work on the ins tags... Is there something I missed when adding INS to
watir?