Using watir and ie8 I was able to DL files from my app no problem.  Now
using
ie9.0.8112
ruby 1.8.7 p352
selenium-webdriver (2.5.0)
watir (2.0.1)
watir-webdriver (0.3.3)

The click_no_wait method is no longer an option in watir-webdriver.
IE9's DLs appear in-window in a gold band near the bottom of the IE window
(see
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/127941-handling-ie9-file-download-activex-prompts/)
My solution was to click download, then use AutoIt to save the file.  The
problem is when I click the link to DL the file, processing of the ruby
script stops.  This happens in ie9 mode, UNLESS the developer toolbar is
open or has been opened/closed in the ie9 session previous to the download.
Very strange.  The script times out and the whole ruby process (using
Test::Unit) bombs out (instead of Test::Unit catching the timeout, which is
unfortunate):

C:/Users/jw/.pik/rubies/Ruby-187-p352/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:64:in
`rbuf_fill': execution expired (Timeout::Error)
        from
C:/Users/jw/.pik/rubies/Ruby-187-p352/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:134:in
`rbuf_fill'
        from
C:/Users/jw/.pik/rubies/Ruby-187-p352/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:116:in
`readuntil'

On that note, it is intentional that Test::Unit stops processing Tests when
it gets this specific exception?
Any help is appreciated...