Some file upload solutions lets the user click a link, which then creates a
hidden file field and opens the upload dialog. The only way to deal with
these types of uploads is to make the file field visible, usually by
modifying its style through Browser#execute_script. This may be what you're
seeing, though unless you show us a page that will reproduce the problem,
it's a wild guess.

Jari