Thanks Chuck, I thought that might be the case and I am in complete
agreement.  I know that it would be a while before a new AD
environment for test would become a priority, and I think this is a
good opportunity to show how we have to sacrifice certain features
when we don't have the proper support.

Also +1 for "thread-jack".

On Nov 14, 7:25 pm, Chuck van der Linden <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it possible to create a local user who has minimal rights, and no
> access to the domain, on the system where the webserver is running and
> use those credentials?
>
> Personally speaking, I'm not putting MY domain level credentials into
> any script or datafile, no matter HOW it's encrypted.  Because if the
> script can decrypt it to use for testing, someone can easily modify
> that code to output the UN-encrypted value.  Furthermore it likely
> violates security policy regarding your password etc.
>
> I'd fight back hard on the no test user aspect.  a low rights test
> user with very restricted permissions (just enough to do your tests
> and NOTHING more) is far less of a security risk than embedding
> passwords of real users into scripts (even if 'encrypted').
>
> Alternatively setup a 'test' AD, and have the testbeds use that for
> authentication.. production points at the real AD, test system point
> at the 'test' AD which has no real users in it.
>
>  If the IT guys won't relent, and your manager insists the tests be
> automated, then let them put their darned password and user ID into
> the scripts.
>
> On Nov 14, 9:12 am, Adam Reed <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Edit/Update:  I have handled this in other cases by including a flat
> > file in Subversion with the variable names for user/pass, but no user
> > information.  In order for the script to run, the user (me) has to add
> > their credentials to the file and make sure not to check it back into
> > Subversion once changes are made.  Is that as good as it gets?
>
> > On Nov 14, 10:55 am, Adam Reed <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > This started out as an encryption question, but it may end up being a
> > > testing best practice question.  I have an application that is not
> > > customer-facing, so new accounts cannot be created.  It uses personal
> > > Active Directory information, and we have no (nor are we allowed to
> > > obtain) test accounts for Active Directory.
>
> > > I have a personal account that can access the content to be tested,
> > > but I do not want my AD password to be easily obtained.  I am using
> > > Jenkins to launch scripts so I can easily prompt the user for a
> > > password and store it in a variable to be used... but I know how easy
> > > it would be to then log these passwords to a flat file.  I'd like to
> > > provide more security for coworkers if I'm setting up a system that
> > > accepts user input (instead of using my own as an encrypted master for
> > > the script).
>
> > > The test case is pretty standard - log in, assert a few features and
> > > functions and that's it.  I looked into AES encryption thinking that I
> > > would encrypt the password manually and then take the encrypted string
> > > and paste it into a decrypt function in the script... but that
> > > function would obviously list the decryption keys so it's really only
> > > adding a step of obfuscation to the process of retrieving the
> > > password.
>
> > > What's the best practice for this scenario?
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Adam

-- 
Before posting, please read http://watir.com/support. In short: search before 
you ask, be nice.

[email protected]
http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general
[email protected]

Reply via email to