Thank you for your reply.
After re-reading what I have written and thinking about what I what to
achieve... I don't believe I want to extract the table data into
excel. I would like to extract it to a .txt (notepad document).
The purpose of extracting the data is to check it against it against
what I have in my database :-). If I can get it into .txt file
(notepad document) I have the know-how to clean it and import it into
sql for validation.
FYI the data in the table looks like this...
....... The above row is repeated many time ......
Then the table is closed.
So to re-cap my situation. I can use Watir to navigate the browser to
the page containing the html table but my problem is that I am unsure
of how to extract the results (everything within the <table> tag -
including the html) to a .txt file and then save that .txt file onto
my computer.
I would prefer to take smaller steps with using Watir. I am knew to it
therefore I would just like to learn how to extract the table and save
everything that I have extracted into a .txt file. I have seen a
couple of examples online using hpricot. However most of the examples
seem to miss off code detailing how the array (if that is the correct
approach) is outputted into a .txt file.
Could you help by demonstrating how to write a simple piece of code
which will extract the html table ( and everything, including the
Many thanks for your time.