There's a call in watir-webdriver that returns a collection of windows
matching a given specification, if yours is not there, it should
return an empty array

Here's code from the specs for that method.  The very last of these
sounds like it would be exactly what you are looking for.

it "only returns windows matching the given selector" do
      browser.windows(:title => "closeable window").size.should == 1
    end

    it "raises ArgumentError if the selector is invalid" do
      lambda { browser.windows(:name => "foo") }.should
raise_error(ArgumentError)
    end

    it "raises returns an empty array if no window matches the
selector" do
      browser.windows(:title => "noop").should == []
    end