That'll be tough, unfortunately.  The basic issue, though, is:

1) Target element (in my case it was a span being identified by its class)
does not exist on the page
2) Use target_element.present? in a script
3) Get a timeout error instead of false.

I switched to using Chrome as my test browser for the time being and that
has at least gotten me unblocked for now--meaning it works fine in Chrome,
fails in Firefox 17.

Hopefully someone will spot and fix the underlying error soon.

Abe