> marcwestwood0...@gmail.com Mar 12 04:11AM -0700
>
> Hi has anyone had any experience with automating google maps using watir?
> I have a website which I am automating that has a embedded google map in
> it, I need to select a location on the map before I can continue.
>
> Does anyone know how this is possible using watir?

There are a number of issues here. Mainly it depends on what you mean by
automation, in the context of Google Maps.

Maps works via a JavaScript API, BUT... after the initial creation of the map
(which requires a private API key), interaction with the map is generally
limited to basic UI functions like clicking and dragging, although you may be
able to get some kind of interaction via "search nearby" or some such.

This is an interesting idea. If you could inject some JavaScript into the page
(the old Watir allowed you to do that easily; I am not so sure about recent
versions), then it is possible you could make some API calls using the already
existing key, but maybe not. If not, you are likely limited to simulating
click-and-drag with coordinates, and maybe a bit of text interaction with the
routes and search nearby functions.

Without knowing more about what you're trying to do, my best suggestion would
be to get your own API key for development, generate some test maps, and see
what you can do with them.

But this reminded me of an issue I have been meaning to bring up:

While Selenium-Webdriver is nice in many respects, since Watir has been using
it there have been some sorely missed features. This forum has already
discussed such things as checking browser status (impossible to do via
Selenium-Webdriver). But the single feature I miss most is the ability to
actually change HTML and JavaScript using "=".

For example, it used to be possible to do something like

    browser.h1(:text => /Subject Header/).html = '<a href="my_new_url">Click
here</a>'

There are lots of uses for this. But anymore, whenever I tried something like
that I would get a message like 'undefined method "=" for Watir::blahblah'

Does anyone know of a way to implement this functionality using the current
version of Watir?

(Please don't waste my time asking why I want to do that. I do have legitimate
reasons for wanting to, but it takes too long to explain, and it is not really
relevant to the question.)

Lonny Eachus