If you're using the WebDriver implementation of the IE driver with
watir-webdriver, you should take a look at the WebDriver project's wiki
page for how to configure IE to properly work with the driver[1]. It has
been updated to include extra configuration steps for IE11. Note carefully
the last bullet point in the Required Configuration section[2].

--Jim

[1] https://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/InternetExplorerDriver
[2]
https://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/InternetExplorerDriver#Required_Configuration