On 07/05/11 03:32, Bill Spitzak wrote:
Sam Spilsbury wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure in 99% of the cases out there the amount of
code required for individual applications to have a window border
using decorations done on the window manager side is going to be
pretty much nil.

Size? Resize rules? Name? Icon name? Icon? Layer? Window group? Parent
Window? Window role? Desktop? Hardly "nil". Take a look at how many
pages of stuff is in the freedesktop.org window manager hints.

I really don't think this is an issue to do with client side
decorations. If the window management policy can't handle the Gimp
case correctly, then we need to revise our window management policy,
where of course I'm open to ideas here.

"Window management policy" should also be client-side. I may not have
been clear about that. The wayland compositer almost NEVER moves or
raises or resizes a window. Clients do this in response to clicks or
whatever. This would have made it TRIVIAL to implement Gimp the way they
intended, as at no time would an image window raise above their
toolbars, since they control both of them.

I think it is disgusting that for 30 years now we have been forced to
not use overlapping windows, primarily due to the idiotic idea that the
system should implement "click to top" (especially idiotic because of
the incredible triviality of making the client do that). Every major
application (including Gimp...) has been forced to use a single window
with a "tiled" interior, and perhaps some pop-up "child" windows,
because of this bug and am really really hoping Wayland will finally fix
it.

"not use overlapping windows" ?

Many applications use a bunch of top-level windows instead of MDI windows
within windows. That's a limitation of the widget toolkits. It can be done
ok with Xlib. If "internal" windows need maximize/minimize buttons on a
title bar, the application or widget toolkit will need to draw and manage
them itself.