Alexander Larsson wrote:

In fact, working on this in weston a bit it seems that in general, scale
is seldom used by itself but rather its used to calculate the buffer and
screen size which are then used, and we want both of these to be
integers. So, it seems to me that we should specify scaling by giving
the width/heigh of the surface, which in combination with the buffer
size gives the exact scaling ratios, plus it guarantees that the scaling
maps integers to integers.

This now sounds exactly like the "scaler" api.

What is really happening is that the hi-dpi scheme proposed is providing a "denominator" to the x,y, and size of the output rectangle provided to the scaler api, so that it can now be fractions. It would work perfectly well to move that denominator into the scaler api.

Except that events are reported as though the positions are multiplied by the denominator. I think this is a mistake and events should be reported in the input space, but this strangeness can be worked around pretty easily.