I did not see that they were not visible to the client. This makes sense then.

I would guess that the compositor would turn surfaces+buffers into views+buffers, and the final compositing step would not interact with the surface objects at all.

Jason Ekstrand wrote:
Bill,
Sorry for not responding sooner.  It kind of got lost in the pile.