On 08/20/2014 03:06 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 13:04:54 -0700
Bill Spitzak <spit...@gmail.com> wrote:

Destroying the last protocol object for the role does not remove the
role, correct? The client can recreate a new protocol object for that
role and it still works?

Recreating the same role works, because that is kind of required with
cursors and drag icons.

Yes I think my questions were also asked and answered (mostly) in another thread of this email. It sounds like "removing a role" is not actually something that happens.

I feel that destroying the role object should not have any effect. So destroying the xdg_shell_surface would not change how the surface is displayed. The client could create a new xdg_shell_surface object and continue manipulating the surface with it.

The reason is that it seems very inconsistent with the ability to create more than one instance of the same role object. Now destroying all except the last one has no effect, but destroying the last one does?