Hi,

On 14.04.2015 05:19, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
The solution GNOME takes, which is admittedly maybe too unrealistic,
is that IBus is our input method framework, and thus our compositor
has somewhat tight integration with IBus. I don't think input methods
need to be part of the core Wayland protocol.

Using exclusively IBus in GNOME compositor is ok. But I do not think IBus could replace a Wayland text protocol. For example the GNOME screen keyboard (caribou) does not use IBus but some GTK+ module hack (so it is broken with most non GNOME applications even when they use IBus).

That may be in line with the current thinking in the EFL camp.

Does that mean the input-method and text protocol files in weston are of
no use at all to gnome?

These are currently unused by GNOME. They were written by Openismus,
the company that wrote Maliit, that has shut down now. In my opinion,
it's too complicated, mandates a split where the keyboard needs to be
replaceable.

That is not true GNOME shell can support the Wayland text protocol and still use IBus and a gnome-shell keyboard exclusively without the need to make anything replaceable.

I'm not sure the text-protocol has any value at all, but I'll let Rui
Matos, our input method "expert", answer.

There are currently some issues with the text protocol (which we noticed in real world embedded projects), I will propose a fixed text protocol soon which will fix this issues and should make it fit to become a core Wayland protocol.

Note this is all about the text protocol which should be used between applications and compositor I do not really care about a protocol between compositor and virtual keyboard (input-method protocol in weston).

Regards
Jan Arne

--
Jan Arne Petersen | jan.peter...@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer