On 04/30/2015 04:49 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

But we have no reason to push people away from the old headers. Those
who need the new headers know already that the old ones are awkward.
Those who don't need the new headers are welcome to keep using the old
ones. That's why we're not adding a #warn in the old headers either, at
least not until we want to push people away from them.

IOW, you're actually proposing to remove the comment from the headers.
I'm fine either way.

People can continue to use the old headers all they want, by putting "#include <wayland-client.h>" in their code (which is already being done which is why 99% of the code compiled without changes).

I just want to remove the hidden and unavoidable use of the old headers if you want to use wayland-client-protocol.h, which is NOT a deprecated header. It is silly to force inclusion of an old header.

I think also you should get rid of the circular header dependency. This is actually the cause of the current problems and why obvious fixes can break existing code.

I think the only acceptable alternative to the original proposal is to make up a new header name for the generated protocol files. The old files would still exist and contain this new one and wayland-client.h, but would be deprecated. This would not have any circular dependency and be entirely compatible. I don't like it because it adds header file bloat.

Another alternative is to use a #define to switch whether wayland-client.h or wayland-client-core.h is included, and new code is expected to be compiled with this switch on. But this is ugly, the default will still include deprecated headers, and there is still a circular header dependency. It also breaks some dependency generators.