As I mentioned on your post on Reddit [0], SDL2's video mode hooks are
no-ops, which explains why SDL isn't changing the resolution. You
could change SDL's code to use a different fullscreen mode. I am still
struggling why you need to change the resolution with a modeset.

[0]
https://www.reddit.com/r/wayland/comments/3mkhlf/weston_outputs_monitor_preferred_resolution/

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Robert Folland <robert.foll...@me.com> wrote:

>>> I’ve set up a box to be an input source to other equipment. So it is
>>> providing input to another box instead of e.g cameras, playing out
>>> uncompressed video.
>>> So, it will not be displaying to monitors directly, but to a camera input
>>> on another box. And that camera input is accepting a range of resolutions.
>>>
>>> When I check the resolution actually asked for from within SDL it says it
>>> is producing my wanted resolution, but is is not actually apparing on the
>>> output. So I suspect it is not able to force it to weston.
>>>
>>> The monitor/camera input receiving the signal is providing a list of
>>> resolutions in its EDID data, and I guess one is preferred as a native
>>> resolution. But as long as there are more entries in that EDID list, would
>>> it not be a good idea to allow these to be “forced” through weston?
>>
>> It's not a good idea to let clients force modes, but it seems like you
>> just want weston to always use that resolution, am i right? If so you
>> can tell it to do so by setting the correct resolution in weston.ini.
>> Check "man weston.ini" for details.
>>

> Not really, this is a tool where users can change resolutions (actually
> change video sequences) on the fly. But, it may work to restart weston on
> every change, I can try that… thanks!
>
> -Robert

  Jasper