On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutte...@who-t.net>
wrote:

At least based on this example, I think this is fixing the wrong problem.
> knowing which device sends a key is fairly meaningless unless you have
> direct access to the devices anyway (which you probably don't, at least not
> in the default setups).

Nonsense. A client may very well want to do something different for the X
key on device 1 than the X key on device 2. It does not need any low-level
device access to do that, in fact it is not going to send or query anything
from any device, just receive wayland events.

This is used to differentiate the tablet pen and eraser and puck and the
normal mouse. The program does absolutely nothing special, it gets position
events, but ignores the device, then they all move the cursor and have the
same effect. But a painting program that figures out which device is the
eraser will certainly act differently for that one.

> And there are plenty of devices that have
> meaningless names made from the pid/vid hex codes or even worse - "USB
> Keyboard".

Yea that is a problem, but not as big as you think, as long as all clients
see the same name assignments, and all the devices have a different name.

> the source of your problem is IMO that you're treating the remote control
> like a keyboard when it isn't one. This is what we've been trying to solve
> with the buttonset interface in libinput (still WIP and needs a wayland
> protocol extension). Those devices are merely sets of buttons and require
> their own focus control and behaviour, separate to (and more
> domain-specific
> than) keyboards. But it moves the issue into its own separate corner where
> it can be handled correctly, rather than papering over the issues.

Buttonset interface is not going to solve anything. What if the user has
two button devices, both with the same button?