On 2016-06-02  5:00 PM, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Oh I see, there is a misunderstanding here, "edge" in my proposal does
> not denote the monitor's edges but the window's edges.
>
> So in your example, all 3 windows would be tiled on all 4 edges,
> including the one in the middle as it's tiled against the montoir
> edged at its top and bottom, and to the other windows on its right and
> left edges.
>
> This is why the description in my patch for each state reads "The xxxx
> side of the surface is tiled, either to another surface or a monitor
> edge".
>
> In the light of this, I suspect Mike might also have misunderstood my
> proposal,I did not understand why people kept referring to the
> gnome-shell implementation of tiling...

Aha, I see. I have no real objections to your protocol then, though of
course in Sway I expect it'll just say all four edges are tiled at all
times.

I still maintain that the other issues I brought up should be addressed
to support tiling window management, such as negotiating for
client/server side decorations and support for various xdg-shell
features like maximize/minimize.

--
Drew DeVault