On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:30:53 +0000 Daniel Stone <dan...@fooishbar.org> said:

> Hi Nils,
>
> On 19 November 2016 at 16:29, Niels Ole Salscheider
> <niels_...@salscheider-online.de> wrote:
> > it has been some time since I proposed the first two RFCs for a color
> > management protocol in weston. You can find the old discussions here:
> >
> > https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-March/013951.html
> > https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-October/017759.html
> >
> > During the discussion of the second RFC it became clear that color
> > correction was out of scope for weston at that time.
> > In the meantime wayland-protocols was split from weston and libweston was
> > created. Several wayland compositors start to see everyday usage and
> > wide-gamut screens became more common so that color management becomes more
> > important.
> >
> > Therefore I think that the situation has changed and I'd like to propose
> > this protocol for inclusion in wayland-protocols again.
> > What do you think?
>
> Yes, I think you're right, and it's time to start looking at it again.
> Now Weston is a bit more mature/capable, the desktop environments have
> caught up and are at the point where it makes sense for them to look
> at it, and we have wayland-protocols rather than the old
> weston/protocols/ dumping ground, it's probably the right time.

i'm curious... is the intent to make it requird that all compositors support
color management (and thus have to support all the possible colorspaces
defined)... or are we going to go the path of:

99% of apps won't care so color correction is an optional extra and apps need
to query for the support then adapt appropriately (and always fall back to SRGB
as is defined as the default if it's not supported)?

what is the path/intent for this?