Good feedback.

On 2018-04-09 11:09 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> Does this name correspond to the physical connector or to the specific
> monitor connected? Or some abstract "output" concept, see the next
> paragraph about clone mode.

Doesn't matter, whatever the compositor wants. Should be unique to each
wl_output.

> [...] Would xdg_outputs for the cloned wl_outputs report identical
> names to signify they in fact always show the exact same image?

No.

> Is this name intended to be stable and persistent, so that applications
> can expect to save it in a config and find the same one later, after a
> machine reboot, at least if the configuration of that output has not
> changed and the compositor is still the same version?

Yes.

> The name is arbitrary, right? No standardization is inteneded? I.e.
> switching compositors will likely result in different names.

Aye. Some compositors might find it useful to follow an informal
standard, though, like all wlroots-based compositors use consistent
names (e.g. DP-1).

> Is the name enough, would you perhaps want to have a human-readable
> description string as well? Perhaps something for a user to totally
> customize and more verbose than just a name?

Eh, I'm not a fan of this idea.

> I think it would be good to explicitly answer most of these questions
> in the spec, even if "configured by name" does imply some answers.

Yep, will send a v3 answering some of these.