On Monday 18 June 2018 07:48 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 08:58:28 -0500
Matt Hoosier <matt.hoos...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 8:54 AM Pekka Paalanen <ppaala...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Matt,

did you intend to reply on list? Please CC if you did.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 08:35:56 -0500
Matt Hoosier <matt.hoos...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 3:59 AM Pekka Paalanen <ppaala...@gmail.com>
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 13:38:09 +0530
Ramalingam C <ramalinga...@intel.com> wrote:
On Monday 18 June 2018 01:34 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 12:50:52 +0530
Ramalingam C <ramalinga...@intel.com> wrote:
How does the kernel signal to userspace that the HDCP status has
changed? Do you piggyback on the hotplug event?

Anything that would require userspace to repeatedly re-read
properties
without any events triggering it is bad design. If nothing is
happening, the compositor needs to be able to stay asleep.
Pekka,

We proposed a uevent from kernel for indicating the HDCP status
change.
But that didn't fly. Right now the merged interface expects
compositor
to poll
the property state for the runtime failures.
Ugh. :-(
I get what you mean here, but maybe it's not actually that bad. The HDCP
runtime failure polling would really only be needed during times when at
least one video stream is actually using it, right? If that's true, then
the compositor is regularly waking up as the clients submit successive
buffers anyway. Can the HDCP connector status polling get folded into
that
wakeup cycle?
Sure, but you are assuming the protected content is video. I'm thinking
of still images.
Yeah, that's a fair point. Still probably covers the dominant use-case
though? Just curious, are you referring to the still images that result
from pausing a video stream, or first-class static images (maybe photos or
something) covered by content protection too?
Anything that can actually sit still on the screen.
Though current HDCP usecase is for video playback, I would prefer the HDCP
design to consider any digital content(still fb or video protection) on wire.

Thanks
Ram

Thanks,
pq