On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 11:46:56 -0800
Dima Ryazanov <d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most Wayland compositors support XWayland, and therefore, are ok with
> applications using absolute positioning

Hi,

I don't think that is exactly true. With rootless Xwayland (the usual
case), the Wayland compositor also takes the explicit role of the X11
window manager through X11 protocol. This is even how X11 is intended
to work and not some backdoor. Therefore, the Wayland compositor is
still in full control of all window management, including positioning,
even if X11 exposes a global coordinate system to X11 applications that
the Wayland compositor needs to fake.

If Wine could really benefit from some optional hand-holding, I think
it would be okay to have a Windows-specific interface to help fill the
gaps. It wouldn't be that different from what Wayland compositors need
to do today to support Xwayland; a foreign window system integration.

Even better if that's not necessary.

Thanks,
pq