afaict there’s a for loop that iterates over all the layouts, and within that
it iterates over all the shift levels, and within that it iterates over all the
modifier masks? Is that what’s going on? So basically it’s iterating over them
until it finds a match?

In that printf on line 220, would the value of “keycode” at that point be the
best approximation of XKeysymToKeycode ()?

What’s the difference between shift level and modifier state? They seem to
overlap somewhat. Is it that the Shift key can be both a modifier and a shift
level, but the Num Lock key is a shift level but not a modifier?

Regards
adlo