It is with great sadness that I turned the page on my Sunday morning
paper and saw the name of face of Allen Melvin on a page that I did not
want to see it.   Just a few days ago I mentioned him in a discussion
about Trained Noticing.  Allen was my very first subject of Trained
Noticing, when I firs joined the Digest back in 98 or 99.  He was the
one that sparked my interest in guest starts.  I remember compiling that
first list.. Fred Plummer, Army Recruiter, Vegetable Farmer, Mrs.
Lesch's Driver/Thug Jake, Hotel Detective, Bully who punched Howard
Clyde Plaunt, Convict who Barney lets get way during Andy's vacation,
Doc Malloy (another prisoner).  For a while I just called him Hacker,
because that what I knew him as, Sgt. Hacker on Gomer Pyle.    The obit
lists his most memorable role as Sam the Butcher of Brady Bunch.  That
surprised me, but I won't argue the point.  He did lots of cartoon
voices, but Magilla the Gorilla was his finest.
        Mr. Melvin we loved you on our favorite show.  Thanks for the
memories.

 We need to get a page done on the Mayberry Gossip website.  We have a
page for our favorite background actors, but not this favorite guest
star.

For now I lay a bouquet of flowers in front of Foley's Market  "Fred and
all--you were a funny/believable/memorable character"

The Untrained Voice
        ...we shall miss him