Please do not quote the entire WBMUTBB Digest
when you reply to this issue. - List Manager


wbmutbb-digest        Thursday, August 24 2000        Volume 02 : Number 292




Topics in this issue:

 Hal Smith cartoon voices
 FW: wbmutbb-digest V2 #291
 Re: Hal Smith and cartoons 
 Re: wbmutbb-digest V2 #291
 Andy's Mumbled Dialog
 permit
 Flintstones
 shin-dig in Birmingham, AL
 Hal Smith 
 Re: wbmutbb-digest V2 #291
 The permit
 Re: wbmutbb-digest V2 #291
 Need Help
 Our Fair Ernest T.
 Re:  Follow Me Boys
 jeopardy jiraffes

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:12:32 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Hal Smith cartoon voices

A little known cartoon credit for Hal Smith is "The New Three Stooges," a 156 
episode series produced for TV in 1965.  Hal worked on the majority of those 
cartoons with Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Joe DeRita.  Chuck McCann also 
contributed.

Brent

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:25:27 -0400
From: "Sullivan, Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FW: wbmutbb-digest V2 #291

I'M NOT 100% ON THIS BUT HAL SMITH DID FRED'S VOICE IN THE FLAGSTONES THE
"LOST" PILOT WHICH I HAVE ON TAPE AND HE MAY HAVE ALSO BEEN THE VOICE OF
FRED IN THE MOVIE MADE BEFORE THE TV SERIES AIRED OR PERHAPS HE REPLACED
ALAN REED'S VOICE IN SOME OF THE NEWER EPISODES BUT I DO KNOW THAT ALAN REED
WAS THE PRIMARY VOICE IN THE FLINTSTONES!     KEITH  
From: "Danny Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hal Smith and Cartoons

Alan
I seem to remember a special with some of the TAGS cast and hearing Otis say
he was the
very first Fred Flintstone voice as well. I dont think he did a lot of
episodes tho before being replaced by
someone else for what ever reason.

I think someone else mentioned him being a voice on  Rocky and Bullwinkle as
well here recently on the Digest.

Dapper Dan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 01:00:42 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hal Smith and cartoons 

<< I seem to remember a special with some of the TAGS cast and hearing Otis 
say
 he was the
 very first Fred Flintstone voice as well.  >>

In the course of making out my new website (plug, plug) I found out that he 
did the voice of Fred Flintstone when Fred and Barney appeared on "The 
Hollywood Squares" in the late 1970s.  It seems they had guys in costumes 
playing Fred and Barney in their square, while Hal and another person stayed 
backstage, speaking into microphones.

Dixon
===========
Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 01:02:57 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: wbmutbb-digest V2 #291

<< I know exactly what you mean! Some folks just don't
 get it...For example when I do my best Ernest T. Bass
 impression by saying "How do you do Mrs. Whiley?" some
 folks look at me like Im some kind of nut; but when I
 find a TAGS fan we both crack up,and form a bond that
 the rest of the world just does'nt share...Its just
 pretty cool stuff. >>

What's even cooler...you find a kindred spirit in the room and the one person 
who doesn't "get it" feels left out.  I recently had that experience, believe 
it or not, over that very line ("How do you do Mrs. Wi-lee?!").

Dixon
===========
Remember THE Hollywood Squares...the original and the best
http://www.geocities.com/screenjockey/classicsquares.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:48:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rafe Hollister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Andy's Mumbled Dialog

 
U.T. Pendyke DVM wrote:
> As Barney stands daydreaming about the possibilities Andy says that he
> has to go.....because some kind of permit has come in...I can't make it
> out. Anyone know what he was talking about?
 
Well Doc (How do you do that with your voice?), I've wondered about that
line of dialog in the past too, so I listened to it over and over again
'til I think I've figured it out. This may not be an exact quote, but Andy
says something real fast like, "I'm goin' out to the Lucas place, Ben's
gun permit came in, I'll see ya."
 
Reckon what kind'a gun needed a permit back then?
 
Doug "Rafe Hollister" Garretson
"...You can walk right out that door, and there'll be no hard feelings. 
HOLD IT! Get back here..."


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
http://mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:26:22 -0500
From: "Paul Mulik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: permit

>>>[in the episode "Barney Runs for Sheriff"] As Barney stands daydreaming
about the possibilities and says that he has to go.....because some kind of
permit has come in...I can't make it out.  Anyone know what he was talking
about?
>>>

It always sounded to me like Andy says, "I got to go out to the Lukens'
place.  Ben's gun permit came in."

- --Paul

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:35:27 -0500
From: "Paul Mulik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Flintstones

>>>Subject: Hal Smith and Cartoons
I seem to remember a special with some of the TAGS cast and hearing Otis say
he was the very first Fred Flintstone voice as well. I dont think he did a
lot of episodes tho before being replaced by someone else for what ever
reason.
>>>

Actually, I think he stated in that interview that for the first five
episodes, he was Barney and Bill Thompson was Fred.  They were replaced by
Mel Blanc and Alan Reed.

Bill Thompson was best known as the voice of Droopy.  He also did a lot of
Disney characters, including the white rabbit in "Alice in Wonderland" and
the chubby park ranger in several cartoon shorts.

- --Paul

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 07:50:39 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: shin-dig in Birmingham, AL

I am so excited I can't stand it! The Mayberry reunion in Birmingham is gonna 
be GREAT!! I have talked with the nice folks who are in charge of the FREE 
tickets on 2 different occasions and they are NICE, REAL NICE! So far I have 
requested 22 tickets and my list keeps growing. Seems MANY folks around my 
neck of the woods are interested in going but knew nothing about it. So I am 
spreading the word with the help of my friends. The lady at the ticket place 
said they haven't even started advertising yet! Anyway, this event is on 
October 7 at Oak Mountain Amphitheater in Birmingham, AL. Judge Joel Laird is 
the organizing sponsor for the event and in talking with his folks I learned 
that in his campaign for Alabama Supreme Court his wants us to know that the 
values set forth on the show are the ones by which he lives. He is a true 
Mayberrian! I am looking forward to the get-together and hope there are 
others reading this who are planning to go also. I would love to meet some of 
my Digest friends! If there is anyone who is planning to go, please let it be 
known so others of us will have the chance to say hello...Thanks very much!!  
Crystal M. in AL

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:52:53 -0400
From: "April Gailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hal Smith 

I was watching an episode of Scooby-Doo last night and I happened to catch
in the credits that one of the voices used in the show was none other than
our Otis Campbell.  I really don't know which character he played, but his
name appeared where they listed the names for the voices.  So, I guess we
can add Scooby-Doo to the list.

Have a Mayberry filled day.

April

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:55:59 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: wbmutbb-digest V2 #291

Hi Folks.....

I was reading the digest this morning. It made me chuckle a few times and I 
just want to say......thank you.......I've not been chuckling much lately and 
I needed it. 

I was watching the episode the other day of when Aunt Bee goes away and takes 
care of someone and Andy & Opie make a mess of the house, clean it up and 
mess it up again so Aunt Bee knows she is needed and loved.

I noticed something for the first time.......when it is messed up the first 
time I saw Andy's official hat sitting on top of a vase or something. I 
wondered how it got there. He never wears it that I can remember. And yet it 
looks like he wore it and placed it there when he walked in the door.

Anyone else notice that?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:05:57 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: The permit

In a message dated 8/23/00 9:45:53 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< because some kind of permit has come in >>

I think Andy says he has to go out to the Lucas place because Ben's gun 
permit has come in.

Johnny

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:16:18 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: wbmutbb-digest V2 #291

I'm going to be voting today for my favorite episode " Kerosine Pickles" .  
Is that the real name of the episode?  I love that one.  I laugh so hard 
everytime I see that show.  Well I got to go and vote now.
  
  Have a wonderful day in Mayberry
       Elaine

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:47:11 -0500
From: "James Seay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need Help

what grade did earnest t. go into when he went to
school to get his diploma? Simple I know, can't think of it, someone ask me
and I can't think, please help me.
                                               Dr. Pendyke

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:49:31 CDT
From: "DEBORAH DUBOSE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Our Fair Ernest T.

Hey, to All.

I've been under the covers for the last several days, but if it's not too 
late I'd like to tell you all about my community's Ernest T. Bass. Actually, 
it was three brothers and while they were a strange looking group of 
fellows, they were decent enough fellows who got along with the
entire community.
I lived in a rural area called Shady Grove which is right near Mize, MS.
The Smith Brothers, Bill, JC, and Plumber, built their own one room shack 
way deep down in the woods; they had no electricity, no running water, no 
nothing, except maybe some spiders and a snake or two (Bill nearly died of a 
snake bite one winter). And the community worried about
them something awful during cold spells, but they seemed to manage pretty 
well with the hand-outs they were given and the sense the Good Lord equipped 
them with.
Of course, they too got around on bicycles and they wore multi-layers of 
clothing all the time regardless of what the thermometer registered. Bill
bragged that he had never bathed with soap in his life (don't know about the 
other two) and sure enough years later when Bill lay sick and
a nurse was going to bathe him, the doctor ordered her not to; said it might 
kill him. Bill recovered and lived for many more years. He and Plumber only 
passed away within the last seven years (not sure if soap is what killed 
Bill or not); JC is still alive and visited my folks last Christmas, and is 
doing quite well, thank you.
JC always claimed to be a preacher. We never doubted his Christianity; it
was his church's location that was in question. He talked about it all the 
time, but nobody could find it.
But then the boys came to our Baptist's revival. As they were making their 
way out the front door (surrounded by all us kids) our Pastor introduced the 
boys to the visiting Pastor. That's when JC just had to
mention that he too was a reverend. The visiting Pastor said, "Why that's 
wonderful. Where's your church?"
Dead silence. 'Cause we wanted to hear this answer.
With a wave of his left hand pointing out to the field, Brother JC answered, 
"Over yonder."
He and his brothers didn't miss a beat. They headed right on out to the 
food. We young'uns nearly had us a fit of laughter right there in front
of the visiting Pastor and everything! Mama got me good.
Laura Lee Hobbs, I'm a little better growed up now, I think
"Wouldn't be right, Mary Grace, for you to go to the dance unadorned."
(doesn't have anything to do with the story, I just love this quote)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:52:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: SiameseCatLady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re:  Follow Me Boys

I agree - that's a great movie - funny and
heartwarming - yup, a whole lotta Mayberry attitude in
that one.  I saw it in my youth and hadn't thought of
it in years, but they've been showing it a lot on one
of the cable movie channels recently.  But then,
another classic show that I love ('course it's no
TAGS) is My 3 Sons, so I hafta admit I have a fondness
for Fred McMurray.  Also like his Disney movies like
The Absent-Minded Professor and the Shaggy Dog.  

Monica

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
http://mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:51:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: jeopardy jiraffes

I saw part of a jeopardy today and one of the categories was giraffes.
The correct response is: What is, boy are they selfish?

- -Charlie (really stickin my neck out on this one)

------------------------------

End of wbmutbb-digest V2 #292
*****************************


**************************************************
~              Visit our sponsor
~         Weaver's Department Store
~   http://www.mayberry.com/tagsrwc/weavers/
**************************************************

You must send your comments to the Digest from the
address you used to join WBMUTBB or your message
will not be posted. Only members may post to this
mailing list.

To remove yourself from the WBMUTBB Digest mailing
list send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
following command in the body of your email message:

unsubscribe wbmutbb-digest [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To change your email address, first unsubscribe using
the command above and then re-subscribe using the
following command in the body of your email message:

subscribe wbmutbb-digest

Reply via email to