A long-time reader, first-time poster here. This discussion of reversed scenes
has finally cohersed me to post a message.

There's another reversed scene that I can think of in addition to the two
mentioned so far. In the Merchant of Mayberry, Andy and Barney are talking with
Bert Miller on the sidewalk in front of the grocery store and Ben Weaver sees
them from a distance and walks up to them. This is the first time that we see
Ben in this episode.

When Ben sees them from a distance and begins toward them, he is walking in
front of the theater, but in the following shot he enters the scene from the
opposite direction, coming from the direction of the courthouse. If I remember
right, the shot where Ben is walking in front of the theatre is reversed, in
order to make sense of the direction from which he enters the following shot.
Only when you realize that he shouldn't have been walking in front of the
theater do you start to question what's going on. The same shot in front of the
theater appears again later in the episode when Ben discover's Bert's new
stand, only this time the scene is not reversed.

While we're talking about trained noticin', has anyone ever noticed that the
quonset huts from Gomer Pyle, USMC are visible in the episode Goober's Contest?
When the cars are lining up at the filling station, in the background there are
those buildings, clear as day. Some vehicles are parked in front of them, but
you can still identify the buildings. I try to read the digest every day, but I
might have missed this being mentioned. My apologies if I'm pointing out
something already discussed.

Travis

"No thanks, Leon."

Travis K. Miller
MA 139 Coordinator and Instructor, Dept. of Mathematics
Doctoral Candidate, Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction
Purdue University
Office:  MATH 445 - Office hours: W 1:30-2:30; F 12:30-2:20