Picture this, 2007: Can you just imagine if a civilian was seen wandering
around a Marine base, sticking his head in the barracks window and chatting
with
 a Marine?  I don't know if it would be allowed in the early '60's, but
today Andy wouldn't get past "Checkpoint Chickie"---and if he did manage to
slip
by, he would have been tackled to the ground and 'cuffed.

My mother lives in England and is a military widow, so she has base
privileges .  My sister used to drive her to the base to do her BX and
Commissary
shopping, and was allowed on base herself.  After 9/11/01, that  came to an end.

Yes, it's a sadder world.
Calgon, Take Me Away......

Me in Mayberry, South Dakota
http://www.aol.com.