Opie's shirt was the style of that time period. I wore them to school and so
did all the other guys.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but were these shirts
marketed during that time as "surfer shirts?"  I don't believe the plaid
pattern had anthying to with surfing, but rather they were loud color print
shirts and were meant to be worn outside the beltline, not tucked in.  Also
guys, do you remember that these shirts had the little loops on the back that
girls would pull off and collect?  Mom pitched a fit when they didn't pull off
right and left a hole in the back of a new shirt!