>>>Not sure if this has ever been mentioned before, but I would like to know if
>>>any of you are aware of any modern Mayberry-like towns where there is a
>>>sherriff who is kind of similar to Andy, and where there are nice, downhome
>>>folks who really love and care for one another.<<<

Yes, Valerie, there are still small towns with a Mayberry-type atmosphere.  One
of them is Clay City, Indiana, with a population of just over a thousand.  I
grew up about ten miles from Clay City and went to high school there.  The
friendly folks of Clay City are proud of their town and are determined to keep
it a viable place to live, work, and do business.

The town made headlines a few years ago when it decided to adopt the slogan
"Mayberry of the Midwest."  They felt that their town had many of the qualities
that made the fictional Mayberry so special and wanted to identify with it.
(This was before New Castle, Indiana, started using "Mayberry *in* the Midwest"
for its Mayberry events.)  Two residents were even invited to appear on the
"Today" show to talk about it, and newspapers across the nation carried
articles about the town.  Since then, prominent signs at each of the town's
three main entry points declare "Welcome to Clay City, Indiana, Mayberry of the
Midwest."

Clay City doesn't have a sheriff because its not the county seat.  However, for
the past several years, the town has owned its own Mayberry squad car.  Two
local residents dress in uniforms like Andy and Barney and drive the car in
many local parades, including the town's annual 4-H fair parade.

To see a photo of the sign and read more about Clay City, go to
www.claycity.net<http://www.claycity.net/>.

Thelma Lou
(Janet)