I always figured that night shots were just a production problem they needed
an easier way to get around.  After all, either they had to work overtime
(union scales) into the evening or start the work day late.

My favorite memory of the "night scenes shot in the daytime" go back to The
Lone Ranger.  The Ranger and Tonto were forever riding through that rocky
desert country in the "dark."  Must have been a full moon since you could
see for miles.  Heck, their campfires wouldn't even throw off any light!

dan