I always pictured Mrs Wiley as being widowed and childless.  So in order to
earn a little income and combat loneliness, she turned her stylish home into a
boarding house where wealthy families would install their marriageable
daughters.  There Mrs Wiley could teach them manners and posture and such.
I'll bet she was the one who told Ramona, if she couldn't think of anything
else, to talk about the weather.

  Then Mrs Wiley would hold singles mixers so eligible bachelors could come by
and meet the ladies.  Mr Schwump being a frequent guest because he enjoyed
dancing and socializing, and perhaps had a crush on Mrs Wiley herself.

  I picture her always mentioning to Andy and Barney when a new lady would move
in, detailing their families pedigree and urging them to come by before the
lady was scooped up by another gentleman.  Since Ramona was a descendant of
Rotten Ancrom, her family probably had money and decided "Since Ramona is past
18 now, we better send her to Mrs Wiley's for refinement so's she can catch
herself a proper husband".  I'm sure they were hoping for a banker or doctor
son-in-law instead of a rock throwing, poetry spouting mountain man.

  Kim - Wylie, TX